Promoting healthier living and the environment
The Soil Association (SA) has declared this month Organic September and there are great ideas to promote healthier living and the UK’s organic farms and industries.
September 15 is Organic September Saturday when independent shops open their doors to showcase their ranges with samples, tastings and demos.
As usual in NE England, events are few and far between – are we hiding our light under a bushel or just not bothering? You decide…
There are also exclusive offers, recipes and competitions on The SA’s website https://www.soilassociation.org/organic-living/organic-september/.
The SA has an idea a day throughout September to help you embrace organic living and produce.
How to support the organic movement
- Try organic natural yoghurt – the SA has exclusive organic offers for discounts on Yeo Valley products.
- Sample organic wine. Less sulphur dioxide means less of a hangover.
- Support local cafes and restaurants who use organic produce.
- The beauty industry is unregulated, so look for the logo when shopping for organic beauty products.
- Organic dairy is nutritionally different – check out the SA’s dairy offers.
- If you don’t have the time to shop, sign up for a box scheme and get it delivered to your door.
- Organic farms are home to up to 50 per cent more wildlife.
- Many high street retailers are switching to organic cotton – find out why it’s important.
- September 28 is FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) Friday. Look out for the FSC logo on everything from gift wrap to furniture and support sustainable forests.
Join the SA and help campaign for change in the UK’s food system.
For more information, visit www.soilassociation.org/organic-living/organic-september/.