Brown Eyed Girl is Thompson & Morgan’s blue-eyed star
Following sales of more than 100,000 plants in the UK this year, Thompson & Morgan’s in-house bred dwarf sunflower Sunbelievable has won a host of accolades.
Since it was awarded third place in the Plant of the Year competition at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show it has won:
- The Retailers’ Choice Award at the FARWEST Show in Portland, Oregon, USA
- 2018 American Horticultural Retailers’ Choice Award at Cultivate Ohio, USA
- Horticultural Trades Association (HTA) National Plant Show: gold in the annuals category, as well as the Best in Category (Annuals) and the Visitor Voted Best in Category (Annuals)
- 2018 Four Oaks Trade Show Best Plant Introduction Bedding or Pot Plant
- Flower Trial Japan 2018, prefecture of Yamanashi and Nagano Prefecture: second in the Outstanding Performance Award category
Thompson & Morgan’s head of horticulture, Paul Masters, said: “We’re very proud to have won so many prestigious awards for SunBelievable Brown Eyed Girl both in the UK and abroad. To have gained international recognition for our fabulous sunflower is a great success for Thompson & Morgan.”
He added: “We’re looking forward to a successful launch of SunBelievable™ ’Brown Eyed Girl’ in Japan next year.”
Peter Freeman, Thompson & Morgan’s new product development manager said: “We’ve been amazed at the plants’ performance this summer – particularly through the heatwave and drought conditions.
“Those that were planted in the first half of the summer are still flowering now!”
Paul revealed that there would be new introductions to come in the SunBelievable range.