Activities based on Room on the Broom book
Go on a garden adventure with the children this half-term break – and they can get into the gardens for free.
Simply click on links for each garden below to download your copy. Offer valid only with a voucher downloaded from the website. One child with each paying adult or RHS Member.
Events at all gardens are based on the classic children’s book Room on the Broom, written by Julia Donaldson and illustrated by Axel Scheffler, with a themed garden trail.
RHS Garden Wisley, October 20-28
Family activities are held in the Clore Learning Centre from 10.30am to 12.30pm and 1.30pm to 3.30pm unless specified:
- Monday, October 22 and Tuesday, October 23: Sow and Grow Autumn-flowering crocus. Plant a bulb to take home.
- Wednesday, October 24 to Friday, October 26: Spooky crafts.
- Saturday, October 27: Bassistry Music, 11am, noon, 1.30pm, 2.30pm and 3.30pm.
- Sunday, October 28: Storyteller, 11am, noon, 1.30pm, 2.30pm and 3.30pm.
- October 25-27: Pumpkin carving – advance booking is essential – 10.30am, 11.15am, noon, 1.30pm, 2.15pm and 3pm. Sessions cost £5 per child. Children must be six years and above and accompanied by an adult.
- To download your free kids’ voucher click here
RHS Garden Rosemoor, October 20-28
Activity times: 11am-noon, 1pm-2pm, 3pm-4pm.
Take part in a drop-in craft workshop where you can make Halloween cupcakes or potato witches, enjoy the Room on the Broom Cinema experience, and get creative in the Family Pumpkin Carving Craft Workshops.
The hour-long activity will include a showing of the Room on the Broom award-winning animation and interactive pumpkin carving sessions.
The session is aimed at children aged five years and over. Halloween fancy dress optional.
Tickets: £5 per child for the pumpkin carving in the Garden Room, applies to members and non-members.
RHS Garden Hyde Hall, October 20-28
- Monday, October 22: Room on the Broom themed activity sheets.
- Tuesday, October 23: Resident storyteller Mike Dodsworth takes you on a magical garden adventure. Sessions throughout the day.
- Wednesday, October 24 and Thursday, October 25: Make your own miniature witches broom and hat (£2 payable on arrival).
- Friday, October 26: Decorate your own star-shaped biscuit.
- Saturday, October 27 and Sunday, October 28: Carve a Halloween pumpkin. Numbers are limited to 100 per day and will be sold on a first come, first served basis. £5 per pumpkin, payable on arrival.
RHS Garden Harlow Carr, October 27-November 4
Take part in the Room on the Broom Garden Adventure Trail, which is available from October 20. The rest of the activities start on October 28.
- Sunday, October 28: Creepy Crawlies, 10.30am–3.30pm with a show at 11am and 1pm.
- Monday, October 29: Craft Workshop – make your own spider hat, 10.30am–12.30pm and 1pm–3pm.
- Tuesday, October 30: Grizzly tales from the Garden Detectives with story sessions at 11am, 1pm and 3pm.
- Wednesday, October 31: Film screening of Room On The Broom at 11am, noon, 1pm, 2pm and 3pm.
Craft Workshop: Make your own spider hat 10.30am–12.30pm and 1pm–3pm.
- Thursday, November 1: Make your own broomstick, 10.30am–12.30pm and 1pm–3pm.
- Friday, November 2: Craft Workshop – make your own spider hat, 10.30am–12.30pm and 1pm–3pm.
Make your own broomstick, 10.30am–12.30pm & 1pm–3pm.
- Sunday, November 4: Bird ringing with The BTO and Birdwatch Ambassadors, 11am–3pm, weather dependent.