Tried and tested mark of reliability
If you’re new to gardening and want to grow from seed, you’ll need to try thoroughly tested, reliable and prolific varieties.
Mr Fothergill’s stocks the RHS’s Award of Garden Merit range (AGM) and it has some new varieties for this year.
The AGM is a mark of quality, awarded to garden plants with excellent garden performance, given only after a trial at an RHS garden and judged by a team of experts.
New to the RHS AGM range
- Onion (Spring) Matrix (RRP £2.50 for 350 seeds): a winter hardy variety which is slow to form bulbs and shows good disease resistance.
- Sweet Corn Mirai Gold F1 (RRP £3.05 for 35 seeds): produces very sweet cobs, up to 20cm in length and packed with extra-tender kernels.
- Pea Starlight (RRP £2.75 for 300 seeds): generous, wilt resistant and extremely reliable crops. Pods are held above the canopy for easy picking and well filled with delicious, medium-sized peas.
- Runner Bean Stardust (RRP £3.55 for 50 seeds): a modern variety bred in the UK and ideally suited to our climate. The self-fertile white flowers give fantastic results as well as a sweeter tasting pod.
- Sunflower Teddy Bear (RRP £2.35 for 20 seeds): a compact and bushy, well-branched variety producing lots of double, soft-to-the-touch blooms.
Other top-selling varieties
- Courgette Defender F1
- Runner Bean Firestorm
- Lettuce Sioux (Crisphead)
- Erigeron Profusion (I grew this last year and it was still flowering in December).