Congratulations to HOTBIN Mini by HOTBIN Composting!
A big shout-out to HOTBIN Composting, which has won this year’s prestigious RHS Chelsea Garden Product of the Year award.
The HOTBIN Mini is designed for the smaller household and garden, enabling those with not much space to do their bit for the environment.
Outdoor living was the key trend among the 12 latest gardening innovations shortlisted for the RHS Chelsea Garden Product of the Year award 2019, sponsored by M&G Investments.
Sustainability and preserving the natural environment was a prominent theme among the show gardens, reflected in the increase in new products championing environmental messages.
The award recognises the best new garden products with entries judged on innovation, visual appeal, functionality, quality, value for money and environmental sustainability.
The winner was announced at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show on Press Day, (May 20) and was chosen by a team of experts including Dragons’ Den investor Deborah Meaden.
Judge Chris Harrop OBE said: “This is our ninth year and it’s fantastic to be able to see the best in garden product innovations every year and see which ones are setting the standards for our industry in terms of design innovation, functionality, quality, ergonomics and importantly sustainability.”
RHS Chelsea Garden Product of the Year 2019 shortlist
- HOTBIN mini, by HOTBIN composting, RRP £150: Mini hot composting bin, produces compost in 30-90 days (including from cooked food, small bones, and perennial weeds). www.hotbincomposting.com
- Stadler Wood Fired Oven, by Distinctive Garden, RRP £595: An outdoor wood-fired oven designed by Pieter Stadler. Made from laser-cut corten steel panels, featuring high-end cooking stones. www.distinctivegarden.co.uk
- Cuba, by Light Innovation, RRP £275: A portable LED lantern with Bluetooth speaker that can be used in anywhere outside. www.lightinnovation.com
- Jonas Breakfast Table in Aged Oak with Belgian Bluestone Top, by Oxenwood, RRP £3,327: A robust and maintenance-free outdoor table made of indigenous FSC and PEFC accredited oak. www.oxenwood.co.uk
- Swan Watering Can, by Husk, RRP £8: A plastic-free and biodegradable indoor watering can created using agricultural by-products and plant fibre. www.madewithhusk.com
- Ooni Koda, by Ooni Pizza Ovens, RRP £249: A gas-powered oven that’s ready to use right out of the box. A streamlined silhouette paired with one-touch gas ignition for easy, convenient outdoor cooking. www.ooni.com
- Grand George Bell, by Plant Belles, RRP £53: A range of grow-through plant supports, ideal for large herbaceous plants and shrub roses. Made from a heavy gauge wire and inspired by the Sissinghurst Method. www.plantbelles.co.uk
- Tree of Life Illuminated Wall Mount, by The Firepit Company, RRP £69: Handmade wall-lighting feature created by sculptor Andy Gage. www.thefirepitcompany.co.uk
- Bamboo Pots and Seed Trays, by Haxnicks, RRP £3.99-£6.99: A sustainable non-plastic alternative for gardeners made from bamboo, rice, and natural resin and available in sage green or terracotta in a range of sizes. www.haxnicks.co.uk
- Tressa Planter, by Tom Raffield, RRP £12,500: A curving 3D organic structural planter, steam bent from undulating pieces of solid oak. www.tomraffield.com
- Container Weeder, by Burgon & Ball, RRP £11.99 (main image): Part of a new RHS-endorsed tool collection designed to make container gardening easier. www.burgonandball.com
- Obelisk Composter, by Wilstone, RRP £39 (composter) £59 (obelisk): A combination between an obelisk for plant support and a composter which directly feeds the plant around it from the resulting compost. www.wilstone.com
RHS Chelsea Flower Show information
- Dates: 21-22 May: RHS members only, 23-25 May: RHS members and non-members, open 8am-8pm; 25 May 8am-5.30pm (sell off starts at 4pm).
- Venue: Royal Hospital, Chelsea, London SW3 4SL.
- To book tickets: 0844 995 9664/rhs.org.uk/shows