Roses are in short supply – try this new range of classic hybrid teas!
With more people taking up gardening due to the first lockdown, there has been a surge in demand for roses as people look back wistfully to their childhoods.
Fewer growers are trading to plug the gaps but Suttons has been able to introduce a great range this year, including a highly scented rose collection, plus celebrated and highly acclaimed varieties.
Roses like a sunny site with at least half a day’s sunshine. They are a great choice for clay soil but will cope with any fertile soil with good drainage.
Timeless Roses Collection
These award-winning Hybrid Tea roses will make a traditional rose garden in flower beds and borders but will be happy in a large pot.
Featuring fully double and long-lasting flowers in blends of soft pink, creamy apricot through to deep purple. The four varieties are highly fragrant with each having a unique perfume – awarded 8 out of 10 for scent. Bushes grow to 90-100cm tall and wide.
- Timeless Pink: Very large and shapely light pink blooms with apricot centres.
- Timeless Cream: Large fragrant creamy flowers with a soft apricot blush.
- Timeless Charisma: Rich fuchsia red buds open to fully double, deep pink shapely flowers.
- Timeless Purple: Rounded buds open to reveal large, deep purple blooms.
Precious Roses Collection
These award-winners are repeat-flowering, from June-September. Height 60-70cm, spread 60-70cm. Ideal for patio pots and filling gaps in beds and borders – perfect for gardening beginners.
The lightly scented blooms can be used as cut or dried flowers.
- Precious Ruby: Scarlet-red blooms.
- Precious Gold: Golden-yellow.
- Precious Love: Poppy-red.
- Precious Amber: Apricot, amber and orange.
Past and present Rose of the Year
The Rose of the Year Competition trials new roses from across the world and rates them on their performance in UK gardens and soil.
- Rose of the Year 2021 Belle de Jour: A golden floribunda rose offers months of flowering and a delightful scent, perfect for a border or pot.
- Novelty Rose of the Year 2006 Hot Chocolate: Popular with designers, a floribunda with an unusual chocolate orange/brown colour and a good scent.
- Rose of the Year 2017 Scent from Heaven: A climbing rose, it has salmon-orange blooms and a wonderful scent, ideal by a back door or over an archway.
Buy any of the above roses for £12.99 each or buy 3 or more from across the Suttons bare root roses range for £9.99 each – visit www.suttons.co.uk.